Food for thought

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #2834 by Serenity
Replied by Serenity on topic Food for thought
I stickied this topic so we can share our wisdom and resources in this thread instead of making new ones all the time

Thanks for the tip Rosalyn :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #2838 by Serenity
When i woke up this morning i realised how hard it is to "leave my garbage at the door" , we are all made up of past memories and hope for a better future.

How do you make sure the garbage of yesterday does not muck your enthousiasm for today?

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #2840 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic Food for thought

Serenity wrote: When i woke up this morning i realised how hard it is to "leave my garbage at the door" , we are all made up of past memories and hope for a better future.

How do you make sure the garbage of yesterday does not muck your enthousiasm for today?

As crazy as it sounds, I just let it go!
I have been asked more than once how I let things go and honestly I can’t really tell you. Sure, there may a may be some lingering bit or something that resurfaces. I acknowledge it and let it go again.

I guess the best way to explain how I let things go is like telling someone how to walk. Stand up, lean forward, put one foot in front of the other so that you don’t fall and try to steer yourself towards your destination. How do I let things go? Acknowledge it is. Realize what I can do about it, if anything. Resolve to handle it or not if I have no influence over what causes it. Decide that I am not going to let it bother me!!! And mentally and spiritually let go my grip on it. If it were a “thing” I would have dropped it. And like with walking, I can tell you about it but only practicing and figuring out how it works for you will you be able to do it yourself and become proficient.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Serenity

More
5 years 2 weeks ago - 5 years 2 weeks ago #2841 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic Food for thought
For me, I have learned that it is important to not let yourself get distracted. Distraction lessens your perception, makes it narrower and makes the wound loom larger in your vision. Keep your overall goal in mind
There are different wound types. To use the parable of the second arrow, an arrow shot needs to be looked at and cared for. A light slap or harsh word does not require the same attention, and yet we are so easily uncentered by these as evidenced by some of the anecdotes in "F You Very Much" by Daniel Wallace. These are the things that can mess up our day because we constantly recount them. Yet in the grand scheme of things, a week, a month, a year from now, the offense will matter very little. However, if we harp on it day after day, or whever we have a bad day, or whenever we think about the person, we bury it deeper in our psyche and it remains there, infecting us.
Last edit: 5 years 2 weeks ago by Rosalyn J.

More
5 years 1 week ago #2842 by Serenity
Can i gather from that that we focus on the task at hand so we dont get distracted ? But is distraction always bad? Is not distraction sometimes a sign that we are not doing what we really should be doing ,or that what we are doing is not really what we want to do? Otherwise we would not be distracted...ow these thinking thingies always bring more thinking thingies :lol:

More
5 years 1 week ago - 5 years 1 week ago #2843 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic Food for thought

Serenity wrote: Can i gather from that that we focus on the task at hand so we dont get distracted ? But is distraction always bad? Is not distraction sometimes a sign that we are not doing what we really should be doing ,or that what we are doing is not really what we want to do? Otherwise we would not be distracted...ow these thinking thingies always bring more thinking thingies :lol:

Well, yes. Sometimes distraction can be a welcome reprieve. However, there are types of disractions I suppose.
1. If I'm distracted by the offense, wound as it happens, that's relatively normal
2. If I distract myself with another thing, my goal/mission perhaps, this may be useful in letting the wound scab over
3. But if I am distracted by the wound day after day and my mission and my life pass me by, this is not helpful
Last edit: 5 years 1 week ago by Rosalyn J.

More
5 years 1 week ago #2844 by Serenity

Rosalyn J wrote:

Serenity wrote: Can i gather from that that we focus on the task at hand so we dont get distracted ? But is distraction always bad? Is not distraction sometimes a sign that we are not doing what we really should be doing ,or that what we are doing is not really what we want to do? Otherwise we would not be distracted...ow these thinking thingies always bring more thinking thingies :lol:

Well, yes. Sometimes distraction can be a welcome reprieve. However, there are types of disractions I suppose.
1. If I'm distracted by the offense, wound as it happens, that's relatively normal
2. If I distract myself with another thing, my goal/mission perhaps, this may be useful in letting the wound scab over
3. But if I am distracted by the wound day after day and my mission and my life pass me by, this is not helpful

Yes the second arrow ,distraction can be usefull but also frustrating , when we are wounded we have to distract and distance ourselves from the pain to remain focussed on what needs doing. Another thing is that we sometimes need distraction to stay focussed.

When i was making a very difficult assesment , i was too focused and needed to doodle a little and refocus , so i distracted myself so i would have the empty cup again that i needed to focus. But in most cases we need to starve our distractions to feed our focus.

Distracted from distraction by distraction.

TS Eliot

More
5 years 1 week ago #2849 by Serenity
Hmm David Bowie makes an interesting point here , as we were having a discussion in Discord over Religion i wonder how many of us turn to religion out of sheer fear for the consequences if we dont. I have always been the critical and grumpy one in any Religious Order , not because i dont love the Creator but because people get so rigid in their ways and fear mongering instead of being of servie as is required by several Deities...what is your take on it? Do you "need" religion or do you enjoy the good advice it can bring ;)

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, jzen

More
5 years 1 week ago #2850 by Wescli Wardest
You never know just how strong you are,
until being strong is the only choice you have.

And I don't mean strong smelling! :P
LOL :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jzen, Serenity

More
3 years 11 months ago #3175 by Wescli Wardest

A group of birds is a flock and a group of geese is called a gaggle. A group of monkey is a troop and a group of baboon… a congress. So fitting!

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds