Old Wisdom

More
3 years 8 months ago #3232 by Wescli Wardest
Old Wisdom was created by Wescli Wardest

I learned a lot from my grandpa when I was little. He would say things like, “better to keep quiet and let people assume you’re an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.” Sure, on its face that sounds mean. And I’m sure a lot of today’s Snowflakes would be offended by a remark like that. Which brings me to today’s story. But first, let’s look a little at what he said. He wasn’t saying, you’re dumb keep quite before anyone finds out. He was telling me to keep the upper hand. When you don’t say anything many people will assume it is because you have nothing to say. Or, that you’re ignorant or dumb to whatever is being discussed or going on. Where in reality, you do. This gives you the opportunity to observe them. It also has the ability to get you out of work you might not have wanted to do LOL :lol:

But back to why I started this conversation in the first place. This is a story that is probably told to all Southern boys by their Dads or grandpas at some point. It goes… when my grandpa was a young boy, he and his Dad were setting on the edge of the field having lunch after a long morning of plowing and dig’n out rocks. Off in the distance they could hear a noise and his dad asked him, do you know what that sound is? My grandpa stopped chewing and listened hard for several seconds before replying, it’s our neighbor pulling his wagon in his back pasture. Yup, reply his dad and asked, what can you tell me about the wagon? I don’t know said my grandpa. Listen again he was instructed. So my grandpa once more strained his ears listening for anything he could. But to him it just sounded like that old wagon. I don’t know he said. And his Dad told him, the wagon is empty. How do you know asked my grandpa and his Dad explained. That wagon is almost a half mile away. If it were full we would barely hear it because it would be weighed down and the wheels would be sinking in the soft earth. But since it is empty it’s rattl’n and bounce’n around making a racket we can easily hear all the way over here.

Most people will easily get the obvious point to that story. But there is a more subtle point I wonder how many will be able to figure out.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serenity, KobayashiRmaru

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #3233 by Serenity
Replied by Serenity on topic Old Wisdom
My mother always says , Just because you are loud , does not mean you are right :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, KobayashiRmaru

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #3240 by KobayashiRmaru
Replied by KobayashiRmaru on topic Old Wisdom
Not really related but those stories from our elders are really important. Thank you for sharing.

My grandmother had a story that has stuck with me to this day and I'll share it here, its also a lesson but not quite the one yours has. My grandmother grew up in Missouri on a big farm, she was adopted into a large family. She loved mules, big draft ones. She'd talk with true love about those big "Missouri Mules". This story includes one.

When my grandmother was a young girl she and some of her brothers/sisters were tasked with plowing the garden in the spring to get ready for planting. Instead, they took the mule they had been given for the task and played all day long. They didn't get anything done and the mule with its good nature went along with what the kids were doing. That being said the mule was an old veteran of farm work at this point and while it did whatever the kids wanted to do patiently and without the fuss it also knew its job well and when it was quitting time too. The mule knew the sound of the church bells and when the factories and church bells chimed the five o'clock hour the mule stopped and refused to move. The kids who had all been playing realized later in the day that they better get that garden plowed and started on actual plowing just before five. The mule who had been plowing heard the five pm chimes and stopped dead. No amount of pushing, prodding, the whip would inspire that mule to move. The kids became desperate to get him to move so they could finish the garden and started pulling on his bridle to which the mule responded by sitting down in the traces with the plow behind. At this point, the kids knew they were going to get in trouble if they didn't finish the garden by the time Pa came home so they devised a plan to get the mule to move by building a fire under his butt. The mule realized what was happening and not wanting to get his "ass" hairs burned got up, took two steps sideways, and sat back down tipping the plow over. At this point, Pa came into the farmyard and saw the catastrophe unfolding. Everyone got in trouble for not finishing their task, playing with fire, and the mule got an extra sack of oats that night.

My grandma would laugh every time she told that story. I can still hear her giggling about it. Anyway. thanks for sharing. these stories are a valuable part of our past and worth retelling at every opportunity. There is a good lesson here too. ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by KobayashiRmaru.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Serenity

More
3 years 8 months ago #3244 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic Old Wisdom

A lot of people love horses.
And I wouldn't mind having one.
But if I had my choice I would LOVE to have a good mule. I think they are amazing creatures. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: KobayashiRmaru

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds