The Real Public Enemy #1

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #2344 by Wescli Wardest
Picture from thefederalistpapers.org/opinion/californ...done-by-a-9-year-old

More and more cities and food chains are introducing a ban on plastic straws. However, one area in California is dishing out a harsher punishment than anywhere else for breaking the new law.

In June, the city of Santa Barbara passed a bill banning the distribution or sale of plastic straws at bars, restaurants and other establishments, with plastic stirrers and cutlery only available upon request.

The ordinance, which comes into effect on 2:01 a.m. January 1, 2019, does include exemptions in consideration of the Americans with Disabilities Act, answering previous criticism of the ban that says it does not take into consideration how some handicapped people require flexible, plastic straws to drink.

According to Reason, the city has made breaking the plastic straw ban as an administrative infraction, meaning those caught disobeying it a second time risk a maximum fine of $1,000 and up to six months in jail.

www.newsweek.com/plastic-straw-ban-you-c...ifornia-city-1043944

Okay... :huh:

Not being from CA, I'm not even sure what to think about this. My first thought would be that a recycling program would better thwart the harm done by plastic rather it come in the form of bags, forks, spoons or straws. Personally, I am a strong supporter of recycling even though I admit my own efforts fall sort of where I would like them to be.
:blush:
Maybe someone from CA could shed some light on this subject?
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Wescli Wardest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jzen, Serenity

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds