What did you say?

More
6 years 1 month ago #1365 by Wescli Wardest
What did you say?

When someone speaks something equally important happens… someone hears.
Just because you mean something when you speak does not mean that is what the other person is going to hear. The same is true with what is written, painted, sung, or conveyed by any means. Each person’s unique experience and understanding is going to shape how and what it is they perceive when they are exposed to what is being conveyed.

The same is true for you and what you are trying to convey! What and how you attempt to convey things is a direct result of how you have formed whatever communication skill you’re attempting to use. And so will have emphasis and concentration where you feel it is necessary. And maybe not on what the other needs to get from what you are attempting to convey.

Of course, this argument is one that I feel supports the importance of the meaning of words and how to use them fluently and understand their meaning is the real expression of the fluid exchange of ideas. But I have had others argue that if we are restricted by meaning then the ability to express one’s self is hampered… which makes no sense to me! LOL

What are your thoughts?

Have you had something taken the wrong way before? Been misunderstood?

Was it an error on your part, your ability to convey; or their ability to understand what you where conveying? Or maybe a little of both?

Is it not frustrating when communications break down?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Senan, jzen, Serenity

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 week ago #1387 by jzen
Replied by jzen on topic What did you say?
I know this is a petty common thing in the married life. My wife thinks and expresses herself in a particular way, and I think and express myself in a way that is complimentary but not the same. At the beginning of our marriage, misunderstandings would abound, now after being married well over a decade, they are a lot less frequent. To me, understanding takes on so much more than what is being said sometimes. Understanding the person behind the words is also just as important. Their quirks, their intentions, their influences, all can influence what is meant by what they said. Mannerisms also influence the intended meaning (which is why i think people tend to misunderstand so much more online). This doesn't take away from the importance of the words that are said, but knowing all that other stuff leads to a much more complete understanding. Just my thoughts ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Serenity

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds