I wonder...

More
6 years 6 months ago #1052 by Wescli Wardest
I wonder... was created by Wescli Wardest
Do you ever wish you knew what to say?

Sometimes I feel like I should say something... But I have no idea what to say or if I said anything if it would even make a difference.
Sometimes I feel as if I don't say enough or maybe I'm rambling. LOL

Not that I think there is anything that needs to be brought up. But hey, I could have missed something that needs to be discussed... Sometimes I just have no idea.

I saw a family yesterday holding up a sign that read, "lost job, have kids, need help." and I watched as people drive by with complete indifference. So I parked and went over and handed them the money in my pocket. It wasn't much as I generally don't carry cash. Maybe $35 or so. But the man was very greatful. As I walked away and approached the store I was headed to I heard a guy say "those are muslims."
and I stopped and faced him. I don't know why but I told him... "Those are people. And rather than continuing to spread hate and mistrust why don't you be the change youd like to see in the world and practice some compassion." the guy just stared me down like I was some ass hole that just made pee per in his cheerios. But oh well.

Sometimes I feel like there are just too few of us to make a difference. But if we stop now or don't try we'll never grow... And in turn we will let the evil of the world win.

I know what to say now...
I love each and every one of you. I am very proud of the choice you made, to come here and at least try to be the difference the world needs. And I hope each of you are blessed with the will to continue on every day and in your daily lives.

Your friend,
Wes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Senan, jzen, Serenity

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #1054 by jzen
Replied by jzen on topic I wonder...
What a fantastic story :) Thanks for sharing this! It is really inspiring!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Serenity

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #1058 by River
Replied by River on topic I wonder...
Quotes from Wes in italics:

Sometimes I feel like I should say something... But I have no idea what to say or if I said anything if it would even make a difference.
]

I find that sometimes it's really helpful, on both sides of the equation, to do just as you've done here: to say "I'm not really sure what to say, but I'm here and caring."

I saw a family yesterday holding up a sign that read, "lost job, have kids, need help." and I watched as people drive by with complete indifference.

That's a pretty big assumption. Perhaps the driver in front of you didn't respond because he'd given all his cash to the homeless vet at the previous intersection. Perhaps the driver behind you is struggling to pay bills this months but added the family to their personal prayer list. Maybe the lady next to you just got news that her sister's breast cancer has returned and, focused on her emotions, she didn't even see the family. Since the meaning behind someone's observable reactions is just a story you make up, why not sprinkle in some optimism?

And I hope each of you are blessed with the will to continue on every day and in your daily lives.

Thank you, I need some will lately. May you continue to see reason for hope in me.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by River.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Senan

• Senan
  • Knight
  • Knight
  • Just trying to make a difference in the world
More
6 years 6 months ago #1061 by Senan
Replied by Senan on topic I wonder...
Good points, River. I see how Wes would make the observation of indifference, too. It is easy to become pessimistic when everyone seems to ignore what is happening right in front of them. We should also try to be optimistic and give people the benefit of the doubt when we don't know.

I am glad that you were able to help that family, Wes, and also that you made a point to respond to the judgmental guy. So many people seem to jump for the negative stereotype and forget that we're all just slightly different colored meat sacks. Our brains aren't formed "Muslim" or "Jewish", just human. We need to remember that.

Also, sometimes the right thing to say is simply "I hear you." So many times I try to fix other people's problems for them or jump in with solutions when really the other person just wants to get something off their chest and bitch a bit. Trying to fix it just makes them and me more frustrated. Sometimes I just need to listen and shut my mouth.

First Knight (Nov 26th, 2018)

Battlefield Commission - Knight
Apprentice to Wescli Wardest
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, jzen

More
6 years 6 months ago #1062 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic I wonder...
When. I said, "with complete indifference" I a refering to how they passed the family. Not what they were thinking or why they might have been thinking it.

No slowing down, no looking at them, no acknowledgement of there existence. Just going about their day as if they were driving by a bush or a tree on the corner.

I have no idea why they presented the behavior I observed. Not would I assume to guess. And that is what I observed... People passing with indifference.

Indifference is one of the things I wish all people would make the effort to eliminate. It tends to be an issue in our society today. And is part of why people in self defence classes are taught to tell fire and not help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Senan, jzen

More
6 years 6 months ago #1063 by River
Replied by River on topic I wonder...
Oh. Sorry, I misunderstood.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

More
6 years 6 months ago #1065 by Vladucard
Replied by Vladucard on topic I wonder...
I think people are so blinded by hate and by they see on TV that they forget that there really are people out there that need help. Everyone thinks that people asking for money are druggies (I, myself, have been guilty of that) and ignore them but it shouldn't be like that. I think you did the right thing and, honestly, the guy that complained to you just sounds like he's got too much hate in him.

Sponsor: Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, jzen

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds