My Needs (aka, Community Building)

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #946 by River
I welcome responses to this, as always. I want to say that this is an area I am very sensitive and vulnerable around, so if folk could take that I to consideration when forming and wording their responses, I'd be grateful.

I also want to say that my feelings about MOoK are entirely mine. I own them. They are based on my own particular brain chemistry and background and veils and lenses. My feelings are in no way a condemnation of anyone or anything at this site. These are my very individual and personal emotions based on my very individual and personal quirks.

And I know that we are currently a very busy and very small community who tries their best.

So yeah, on with the show ;)

I don't feel a sense of belonging here. I feel a bit like I walked into a meeting and a few people smiled, perhaps shook my hand and gave me an agenda, but I sat alone, took my own notes, and left alone. And then no one got in touch to see how the meeting went for me or if I had any questions and.... this is a bad analogy. I like to use analogies to talk about things without actually talking about them. Let me try again.

I don't feel like there is real community here at MOoK. Or if there is, I don't feel a part of it. In order to feel more connected, more familial, there are some needs I've identified.

The first is, I need to know people. Not just, what are your thoughts on Charlie Chaplin and soup kitchens, but who are you and what does your day to day look like and what makes you laugh and cry and do you like green grapes or red best and what are your thoughts on sea lions constantly being called seals.... And I want you guys to know these things about me, too. I want to feel like you want to know these things about me. Practically, I guess this could take the form of more real time chat (perhaps a sound or flash that let's us know if there's a new message in the chat, so responses can be more timely?). Or perhaps I'll start a random questions thread, and we can just use it to get to know each other.

Another thing I need is to feel more supported. I'm a person who needs external appreciation to remain motivated. I feel like, if it's just for me then what's the point? I definitely have spent years working on, and continue to work on, being my own cheerleader but I suspect that even if I got River colored pompoms and wore my hair in a bouncy blond ponytail, I'd still be a person who derives a lot of motivation and will power from people saying "Hey, I see you, I saw that thing you did! It was a good thing! You learned such and such a thing! I see your effort and your growth and what's more, I like it!" I see this happening through chat as well as in responses to forum posts. Clicking the "thank you" button is nice. It's an acknowledgement. To me, it feels a bit like a form letter. An actual posted response, even if it's as simple as "This was good to read, thanks" has a lot more nourishment in it, for me.

So yeah. That's it. That's all I've got for now. I hope we continue to grow. Together
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by River.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Senan, jzen, Serenity

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #959 by jzen
Thank you for your honesty :) As a community, we still have a long way to go and it is going to be a process that literally will take years. It isn't even in a fully functioning capacity yet as a council still needs to be established and knights come up through the ranks. This period isn't a permanent situation, it's just part of the process of growing. That being said, lots of things happen behind the scenes and off site that require or attention as well and we as members must strike up a balance between other life involvements and here. The best I can say is to continue to be involved. Because you're here at the beginning of all of this, you have a hand in helping to shape it into what you want it to become too. Posts like this are good :) Help us think of solutions to address these things. Help make this a place you think it should be. :)

As for wanting to know people, I'm an open book :) Feel free to ask me anything you like!

As for engagement and encouragement, I think this is a fair request, and as things settle into a more established group, this will become more prominent. I for my part will work oon engaging more directly, more frequently, but as an over all quality for the Order, it will take some time. I hope you understand this. We're all on this journey together here unified in service to others. We all have the ability to make this into the community we want it to be :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Senan

More
6 years 6 months ago #961 by River
Yeah, I definitely understand and appreciate the "work in progress" thing. And that's totally fair and as it should be.

And, that said.... I might not be a person who can be in on ground floor level communities. I don't know. I guess being here is kind of an experiment for me in that regard. I have some pretty specific needs and some pretty unfortunate reactions if they aren't met. Which is all about me and not at all about any community or person, of course. But still, I need to protect my rather fragile mental health.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jzen

More
6 years 6 months ago #963 by jzen
There is a lot here to do still and I understand not being sure if you want to be part of the beginning stages of a community such as this one. There is a place here for you though if you want it :)

There are other well established communities, like TotJO. Both Senan and I are really active there. I know you belong there and devoting more time to that while we continue to build this here might be an option for you. That's something that you have decide though. Keeping a presence here while spending more time there might give you what you're looking for right now. The training is excellent too. It's all up to you :)

More
6 years 6 months ago #966 by River
Bizarrely, I have very similar issues with TOtJO... I yearn for deep and real relationships. I guess most people get that in their offline life so don't work too hard on it online, maybe? Or it really is just entirely me and my brain. Or both.... Or something I haven't thought of.....

• Lykeios
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 6 months ago #967 by Lykeios
Replied by Lykeios on topic My Needs (aka, Community Building)
Honestly, I have some of those same needs too, River.

I like to feel like I'm getting to know the people I am associating with. The nice thing about having such a small community on a site like this is that that sort of interaction is fairly easily achievable if people are willing to do it.

As for your specific requests for knowledge.

Who am I? Well, I'm Lykeios (Adam, if you must/prefer). I am 28 years old and am currently in the process of both switching jobs and writing a novel (either my fourth or fifth, I honestly can't remember off the top of my head). I am married to a woman whom I love deeply and enjoy spending time with as much as is possible. I live in southern central Pennsylvania (near the state capitol [two hundred points if anyone knows what city that is without Googling or otherwise cheating]) and, for the most part, love living here. I was born and raised in Central California (just outside Fresno [another two-thousand points if anyone can guess which city that might be without cheating]). I prefer green grapes to red. I never saw anything with Charlie Chaplin in it. I've never volunteered at or sought help from an actual "soup kitchen." If someone mentions a "seal" I usually ask for clarification on if they actually mean "seal" or "sea lion." (There IS a difference for Zeus's sake!) Oh! And I am a Greek/Hellenic Polytheist (technically not "Hellenic" because I don't follow the Hellenic time period's beliefs/practices) which means that when I say "Zeus's sake" I actually mean Zeus the king of the Gods/esses.

What does my day look like?
Well, that depends...today, for instance, I'm lounging around in bed watching Doctor Who (thanks to the construction noises across the street my wife moved into the other room to sleep so I am free to watch whatever I like, lol) and later I will probably have to move some furniture around.

What makes me laugh? Wow...ummm, a lot of things! What makes me cry? It sort of depends on my mood...anything from a sad movie to someone I care about crying. Then there are other times where I can't even cry over something terribly sad and depressing.

Does all that help? :) Or did I take you too literally?

More
6 years 6 months ago #968 by River
Harrisburg!!!
Also, I love Pittsburgh.

Ok, I'm gonna go read the rest of your post now, but I had to prove my amazing geography knowledge ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jzen, Lykeios

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #980 by River

Lykeios wrote: Honestly, I have some of those same needs too, River.

Does all that help? :) Or did I take you too literally?

It all helped a lot, thank you!
I'm on the autism spectrum, it's pretty hard to take me *too* literally, lol!
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by River.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lykeios

More
6 years 6 months ago #1045 by Serenity

River wrote: Bizarrely, I have very similar issues with TOtJO... I yearn for deep and real relationships. I guess most people get that in their offline life so don't work too hard on it online, maybe? Or it really is just entirely me and my brain. Or both.... Or something I haven't thought of.....

Aawh i am touched by this , the thing is , i am an idiot online , in real life i know how to behave , talk and walk , but online , i read into things that are not there , make up stuff to complete what i dont understand. You get a very big online hug from me , i see MOok indeed as a meeting room where we talk shop rather than talk about our complex emotional wellbeing , one thing though , when you start enjoying doing things for yourself , its much easier to get by without any of our consent or even presence , if you know what i mean , we are all one , one in this life , universe and place. Hope i make sense this time , i really understand your craving for togetherness <3
The following user(s) said Thank You: Senan, jzen, River

More
6 years 6 months ago #1066 by River
I totally believe what you are saying, intellectually. Emotionally, I'm just not there yet, though :/

I appreciate your response. And your hug :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serenity

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds