Guilt_Gifting

More
3 years 3 months ago #3288 by Wescli Wardest
Guilt_Gifting was created by Wescli Wardest

Guilt-Gifting

Anyone have any idea what this is? There have been several studies predicting that there will be a rise in guilt-gifting this year. Why you ask? Primarily the Covid-19 virus.

Many parents harbor feelings of guilt because their children or loved ones have been stuck at home, learning online and not getting to spend time with friends and family. So many parents will buy more extravagant gifts than they might normally to “make up” for what their children have been going through.

Fancy gifts might be nice but it is not what makes children happy. Connection, spending time doing things together, playing with you, these are things that actually make children happy. When my daughter was down or bored I would ask her if she wanted to go treasure hunting. Her eyes would light up and I would grab our cheap, Walmart special, metal detector. That piece of junk couldn’t find snow in the middle of a Russian winter; but, we had a blast searching and digging every time it beeped, squawked or grunted. Mostly we found junk but sometimes we would find something that made us ask, “What is it?” or “how did that get here?” We would take our treasures home and use the computer to research and find out what we had and anything significant about it.

I am not suggesting everyone go out and buy a metal detector. I happened to chance into that discovery. My daughter and I were shopping and saw them on clearance. I said that it looked like fun and she asked what it was. So I told her it was a way to find things that were lost, treasures and things we didn’t even know were there! A smile crept across her face and she asked if we could get one. I figure for $30 it would at least be worth a try. And if it bombed I could sale it our spring garage sale. LOL

Find something you can do with the ones you love. Dig a hole to China! And you might spend the day looking at the different rocks and other things you might find in that hole. You can always fill it back in when you’re done. Get construction paper and make Christmas ornaments, cards, decorations or whatever! Bake and decorate cookies! Work a puzzle. Who cares? The world is yours for the taking and your children/loved ones would love to do it with you! Let your imagination free. Let go your reservations and love the ones you’re with.

And forget the ridiculously expensive gifts. They only end up drawing people further apart or collecting dust anyways.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago #3289 by Serenity
Replied by Serenity on topic Guilt_Gifting
I think the best gift you can give your loved ones is your love and presence , for children who miss so much as you say , the best gift you can give them is to teach them the flexibility and strenght to live through periods where things are not as they want them to be. I am pleasantly surprised by how the young ones not only bounce back but are thinking of the elderly aswell :) That is the most wonderful xmas gift , knowing you bring up your young ones responsible !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds