Gender Roles, in stories

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 1 month ago #3132 by Wescli Wardest
Came across this article by Brit Marling and found it interesting.

Interesting to see someone that I normally disagree with about every political idea start to see things in what I might refer to as the light of reality. Of course that is because I believe that I am right along with my point of view LOL
:lol:
I will not comment much on it except for one thing I will get to in a minute. The reason is that I do not want to taint anything you might or might gotten from it with my opinions. There is one conclusion that she draws I feel is a Freudian over-simplification. When she compares the hero’s journey to male orgasm.

~shakes head~:S

If that were even remotely true then the journey could be equated to the female orgasm and thus any realization she had through the entire article would have been for not. I will go with the assumption that being female she does not fully understand the male qualities; as I being a male do not fully understand the female qualities; that drive, motivate, inspire and aspire to achieve.

Let me know what you think.

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Wescli Wardest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serenity

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #3137 by Serenity
Replied by Serenity on topic Gander Roles, in stories
I have read it 3 times and although i understand and agree with a few things , i have no idea what her point is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

More
4 years 1 month ago #3138 by Wescli Wardest
LOL :lol:
I have to agree. I'm not sure there is a singular point in the whole thing. Or that the entire article points back to. I just found her thought process being written down on paper and the journey of realization interesting.

I would guess, if I had to narrow down another persons thoughts... or at least what I got from it, is that over the course of time she has started to realize that women and men don't have to have the same goals or standards to be measured against. That each sex tends to have unique qualities that should be recognized and exemplified with the same degree of importance. That it is just as courageous to be compassionate as it is to place yourself in danger; but, that only one of those tend to get the lime light in today's society. Especially when measured against the common understanding of the Hero's journey.

She does flitter around a lot between her experiences and what she thinks. What I tried to do is remember the opening premise while reading what she wrote. Who knows? The premise could have changed multiple times throughout the article and I missed it! LOL

There are centuries of trial and error inside the “hero’s journey,” in which a young man is called to adventure, challenged by trials, faces a climactic battle and emerges victorious, changed and a hero. And while there are narrative patterns for the adventures of girls — “Alice in Wonderland,” “The Wizard of Oz” — those are few and far between, and for adult women, even less so.

It’s difficult for us to imagine femininity itself — empathy, vulnerability, listening — as strong. When I look at the world our stories have helped us envision and then erect, these are the very qualities that have been vanquished in favor of an overwrought masculinity.

I don’t believe the feminine is sublime and the masculine is horrifying. I believe both are valuable, essential, powerful. But we have maligned one, venerated the other, and fallen into exaggerated performances of both that cause harm to all. How do we restore balance? Or how do we evolve beyond the limitations that binaries like feminine/masculine present in the first place?

As time has passed, I’ve come to understand what deep influence shaping a narrative has. Stories inspire our actions. They frame for us existences that are and are not possible, delineate tracks we can or cannot travel. They choose who we can find empathy for and who we cannot. What we have fellow feeling for, we protect. What we objectify and commodify, we eventually destroy.

One thing I think she is starting to realize is the value of the lived experience and how even though we "are" and exist inside corporeal beings, those beings, bodies help to shape our lived experience of the world.

More
4 years 1 month ago #3142 by Serenity
Replied by Serenity on topic Gander Roles, in stories
Yeah i think you are right , she realised its not all that black and white and not as grey as she liked it to be , she saw and accepted that men and women are different and that that will show , in anything we do , and that that is fine , but ...she is not yet completely fine with it haha please correct me when i am wrong ;)

More
4 years 1 month ago #3145 by Wescli Wardest

I think that a lot of people don’t realize that just because we are different doesn’t mean we can’t do the same things. It also means that it is completely ok if we do different things from each other.

I also don’t think that we should gauge ourselves or each other by a singular standard when it comes to life experiences and where we are along our path.

The Hero’s journey is a very important part of every guys, and a lot of people’s, growth experience. But what I think a lot of people fail to realize is that there are multiple characters in that story. Like the wise old sage that gives the hero advice along the way. Well, in my thought, every part of every story must be played by someone. That means that at some point each of us should be that sage in someone else’s hero’s journey. So, what journey does one go on to become the wise old sage?

The Hero’s journey was originally about coming of age or coming into yourself from your younger less experienced self. A first step in a series of steps in my opinion.

When I first thought up this place I figured a lot of our members would come from other places. Already started their hero’s journey if not already completed it. And that this could be a kind of “Sage’s” journey. Probably won’t be the last stop for many. And I figure many won’t be ready for it. But I hope it is a more long term journey of deeper self-discovery and exploration of the universal truths.

Ok, I’m done rambling I guess LOL :lol:

More
4 years 1 month ago #3146 by Serenity
Replied by Serenity on topic Gender Roles, in stories
A wise man plants a tree knowing well he might never enjoy the shade the tree brings ;)

More
4 years 1 month ago #3157 by KobayashiRmaru
Made me think of this posting. I think does a better job of what she's trying to get at.

I had honestly never heard 'The Female Gaze" before and really changed my mind in how I view Television and gosh darn it I'm an Anthropologist, I should be aware of this.....

ms-demeanor.tumblr.com/post/151068279457...thing-nakedsasquatch

really opened my eyes....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Serenity

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #3159 by Acanthos
Replied by Acanthos on topic Gender Roles, in stories
Our nervous system works by building up energy levels to a threshold which trip a change in the systems state. It's not so much 'orgasm' but rather neurology. Does that make cinema neurotic, probably.

This polarization of the system defines it, the resting potential is its normal state until its stimulated enough to reach that firing threshold which depolarizing the system. What dictates how often it fires is the amount of stimulus (and its capacity to be stimulated), and so if that is higher then it stands to reason the resting potential might be closer to the threshold then something which is not being stimulated. So as a movie viewer the frame of reference being 'fired' needs to connect as stimulus. But something with a proximity to the threshold might be prone to crossing it more often perhaps so might not need so much stimulation to fire.... but as a commercial product its driven by the audience appeal, ie who is the audience, just as much as how often it can be fired. A great movie with no interest probably doesn't sell so well. If a movie can appeal to everyone then it would be best I presume, but that would mean having to have movies which weren't catering solely to that one type of appeal and unfortunately people often seem to push against the very same mechanism which they are trying to grab hold off just because it's not aligned to their own self interests. What might be happening there is while some things appeal to us, some thing might have the opposite effect and reduce the stimulus... in which case we end up having different genres of movies.... which again, leaves us about who is paying for it at the end of the day.

I guess I don't get her point either :silly:

極代 ~ per ardua ad astra
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Acanthos.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Serenity

More
4 years 1 month ago #3162 by Serenity
Replied by Serenity on topic Gender Roles, in stories
And that makes it almost impossible to discuss this subject in a honest manner , people are afraid to offend eachother , people take gender discussions extremely personal so everyone discussing it is self sensoring to the point that the point gets lost in politeness and fear of offending eachother. I wish she just said what she means lol

More
4 years 1 month ago #3163 by Wescli Wardest
I have always found that interesting and odd.
There are genders.
We live with each other.
Everyday.
Why should it be so taboo?

It just makes no sense to me.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds