Doing the right thing

More
4 years 9 months ago #2935 by Serenity
Doing the right thing is simple when you think of it

Change my mind ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #2936 by Wescli Wardest

Serenity wrote: Doing the right thing is simple when you think of it

Change my mind ;)

What if I was going in counter clockwise circles?
:huh:

Then I would be doing the left thing! :ohmy:
And that would be easy too :P

LOL :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serenity

More
4 years 8 months ago #2988 by Wescli Wardest

Knowing what the "right thing" is should be simple.

People actually doing that thing, making the choice to do what they know is "right" doesn't seem to be so simple.
I think there are a couple of points I'd address when thinking about this.

First, who decides what is the "right thing?" In a society that has constantly changing principles and a lack of actual morality how is the average person to know what the "right thing" is?

Second, is it really easy to do? May be easy to know what to do but actually doing it and following through with the decision seems to be one of the most difficult things people can choose to do. Often times they seem to make alternate choices and then spend a great deal of energy and effort justifying those choices. I thin that is how the whole social justice warrior thing came about which seems to have lead to "woke" group.

:P

More
4 years 8 months ago #2991 by Serenity
Replied by Serenity on topic Doing the right thing
byrslf.co/my-4-deceptively-simple-rules-...t-thing-b0bcdbfd1c21

This was very helpful to me , for long i tried to find the words and many things have been written and said but mostly doing the right thing comes down to this

Being kind to others

Being as authentic as possible. What am I putting out into the world if not myself? And what is myself but who I truly am as an individual

Just trying to be useful. Can I serve a purpose here? Can I help someone out? Better yet, can I empower someone to do the work himself or herself

It all depends. The ultimate cop-out answer might be one of the wisest answers in the world. My “right thing” in one situation is not going to be your “right thing.” Something I feel is right in one time and place may suddenly become wrong in another scenario.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

More
4 years 8 months ago #3000 by Wescli Wardest

If people shared a common morality and ethics, then “the right” thing would/should almost always be the same between people.

Given that each person be given the same information and had to make the same decision in the same time frame. Looking back, hind sight, is said to be 20/20. But I find that often times it just lends others the opportunity to second guess what was done or not done. Without going back in time and doing it another way, one really never knows what might have happened should another choice be made.

People often say, well if I would have known that I would have done this. You don’t know that! You also don’t know that it would have made any difference. You just know that looking back and given more time to reflect you think a different choice might have been better.

I like to think of it not so much as “do the right thing” as much as “do no wrong.” Meaning, I believe we all try to do the right thing. But we don’t always know if our choices will turn out for the best. I could give a poor person some money for food. They then head to the store to buy the food to eat it. And in the process, while legally crossing the street, a car could have ran them over. We can then guess that maybe I should have gone with him or got the food for him!?!?

Giving the money for food was the right thing because you meant no harm or wrong doing. IE, you did no wrong. The actions of the universe may have had other plans but it was not your intent to wrong another. Intent alone should not be the decider of actions though. Intent with forethought I would think should be preferred. I would not give a starving alcoholic money. I would provide them food or take them to a shelter or food bank.

All that said, it is said that “the road to hell is paved with good intentions.” LOL Almost seems as if we’re damned if we do and damned if we don’t! :P If I’m going to be damned for something… it had better be for my actions. ;)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Serenity

• Lykeios
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 7 months ago #3017 by Lykeios
Replied by Lykeios on topic Doing the right thing
I suppose the real question is: Who are we to decide what the "right thing" is in all situations?

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds