Race

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #2300 by Wescli Wardest
Race was created by Wescli Wardest
Race is not a driving force at the Monastic Order of Knights.

I ran into this add for a documentary...

And I remembered how many times I had to decide what race box to check when filling out applications and forms. My drivers license says white, but that is only the color of my skin! As we learned form my digging in to my own heritage I am an amalgamation of several different ethnicities.

Many times, when filling out forms, when I came to the area where it asked for race I was tempted to check other and in the space provided write Texan. LOL

As anyone will notice, not one place in any form on this site will the question come up "what race are you?" Gender is an optional slot to fill out but that is only because it came with the software. Seeing how it is optional I decided to leave it be. No one has to fill it out. But it is on none of the forms.

And why don't we ask about an individuals race? Frankly, I don't think it matters... that's why.

I believe that some cultures are not as capable of blending or peacefully co-existing with other cultures as different ones may be. But that is because of shared values. It does not mean that they can't; but, only that there will be more effort involved and doubtlessly, more conflicts along the way.

Let us be sure not to confuse race with social ideology, moral dogma or religious beliefs. The color of ones skin does not tie a person to any set of anything. Each person is unique and has the opportunity to choose their own path. And as members of the Order, and especially for Knights, it is our role to show there is a better way. Not preach, not tell, but to show... by our example. In how we live day to day.

Our focus is to work on improving ourselves, learn the value of our communities and in being of service to others.

Thoughts?

Concerns?

Comments?
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Wescli Wardest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Senan, jzen, Serenity

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #2302 by Acanthos
Replied by Acanthos on topic Race
It's not an issue I run into much where I live. So to cast an eye to the concept, my approach would be that a 'race' of something is when an attribute of it takes predominance over other attributes through the natural course of its existence, and so looking at a taxonomic chart which might have species as the smallest grouping besides 'subspecies'. Apparantly a subspecies classification requires the ability to interbreed, and "varies from other populations of the same species by morphological characteristics". This would suit the popular usage of 'race' IMO, but it must be seen that the concept of subspecies is not to demote any groups within a species but rather just a rank. There cannot be one subspecies, there must be at least two.

So in a theoretical, simplified and probably zoologically incorrect example to make the point;
Imagine a white swan is thought to be the only type of swan, and if it were a species it could be called the white swan species - but the discovery of a black swan would not make the black swan a subspecies of the white swan, but rather the white swam and black swan would both be subspecies of the species swan.... with the colour in this example being the morphological difference afforded by geographical isolation happening to avoid interbreeding rather then it not being possible. If that makes any sense.

So I think the concept of 'race' probably had relevance in the past when geography actually did keep subspecies of humans isolated, such that the morphology was distinct, and enough to identify as much - with the term 'subspecies' probably falling out of flavour or outright avoided because of people misunderstanding or abusing the concept to degenerate minorities.

But now, with so much mixing over so many generations, the concept sort of has lost its usefulness IMO. If it's job is to identify 'characteristics' of appearance or behaviour then it should really be optional if included with data associated to ones identity!!!

極代 ~ per ardua ad astra
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Acanthos.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Senan

More
5 years 8 months ago #2303 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic Race

Given more time to reflect, there is an instance when race does have a significance. And that is only in the medical field.

After reading Acanthos reply I remembered each breed of dog has certain medical conditions that are common in that breed. That doesn't mean one group is better than another. When trying to diagnose a medical issue race, or more precisely, the races that make us up would be important for the doctor to know.

But... That would be something where you would have to know your family history. And, there would have to be enough room on the form to fill it all out.

This is also a good reason for you to talk with your physician and more importantly a good reason for your doctor to get to know you.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Serenity

More
5 years 8 months ago #2304 by Serenity
Replied by Serenity on topic Race

Wescli Wardest wrote:
Given more time to reflect, there is an instance when race does have a significance. And that is only in the medical field.

After reading Acanthos reply I remembered each breed of dog has certain medical conditions that are common in that breed. That doesn't mean one group is better than another. When trying to diagnose a medical issue race, or more precisely, the races that make us up would be important for the doctor to know.

But... That would be something where you would have to know your family history. And, there would have to be enough room on the form to fill it all out.

This is also a good reason for you to talk with your physician and more importantly a good reason for your doctor to get to know you.

Its funny that you mention breeds in relation to dogs , i was just thinking the same thing but then in relation to humans , the thing with the whole "Race" trapp is that the more we breed only in our own subspecies , the more the medical differences will appear , and this is because of the genepool that gets smaller and smaller. In theory we are meant to breed with the strongest maile and female in the pack. For some reason we thought it was a good idea to stick to one partner and because that is most surely not the genetic superiour we are already have children with defects , add to that that some of us only want to breed within our subspecies , its a recipe for disaster. We are degenerating and no longer evolving i fear , but that is just my grimm outlook on the human race.

And interesting book on this subject is Degeneration , the end of evolution theory
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Senan

• Senan
  • Knight
  • Knight
  • Just trying to make a difference in the world
More
5 years 8 months ago #2305 by Senan
Replied by Senan on topic Race
It is a shame that we can't see the history of human evolution on a more cosmic scale. We are a tiny blip on the timeline, and in just that tiny amount of time we are already seeing a blending of racial features to the point that soon all humans will have more or less the same appearance. Distinguishing characteristics based on race will no longer be a thing.
It may take another ten thousand years, but in the grand scheme of things, that isn't long at all.

First Knight (Nov 26th, 2018)

Battlefield Commission - Knight
Apprentice to Wescli Wardest
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Serenity

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds