One Bit of Philosophical Wisdom

• jzen
  • jzen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Knight Lieutenant
  • Knight Lieutenant
  • Audentes Fortuna Iuvat
More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #1016 by jzen
We all work with a combination of philosophical precepts in our daily life. If you could only give someone one bit of philosophical wisdom to help guide them in their lives, what would it be and why?

For me, I would borrow from the Upanishads:

तत् त्वम् असि - Tat Tavm Asi

"Thou Art That"

This was the most mentally transforming bit of philosophy for me, as it identifies the individual with the absolute. It has helped me to be a better person, and to recognize the inherent dignity of others. I learned compassion, empathy, and the nature of reality from this one phrase ;)
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by jzen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #1026 by River
Hmm... I'll have to think on this, I've a fee things ideas tumbling about in the ol' brain pan. Good topic!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jzen

• Lykeios
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 6 months ago #1027 by Lykeios
Replied by Lykeios on topic One Bit of Philosophical Wisdom
Yea...I'm with River on this one. Let me get back to you about this. Definitely a great topic!

• Senan
  • Knight
  • Knight
  • Just trying to make a difference in the world
More
6 years 6 months ago #1031 by Senan
Never value as beneficial to yourself something which will force you one day to break your word, abandon your sense of shame, hate, suspect, or curse someone else, pretend, or desire something that needs the secrecy of walls or curtains. – Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, 3.7

First Knight (Nov 26th, 2018)

Battlefield Commission - Knight
Apprentice to Wescli Wardest

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #1032 by River
Ok, I think I'm gonna go with the story of Buddha inviting Mara to tea. Here's my paraphrasing:

So Buddha was chillin', being Buddha, but this demon Mara wouldn't leave him alone. Buddha tried all sorts of fighting him off and ignoring him and the silent treatment and all kinds of meditations and stuff, but Mara (who is sometimes called Temptation) just kept showing up. Even after Buddha became enlightened, Mara would come around sometimes. One day Buddha's like "Ya know what? Fine. If he's gonna be here, he might as well really be here." So he had some really nice tea prepared and some sweet silk sitting cushions strewn around, and probably some finger sandwiches and a Battenburg or something. So Buddha and Mara, light and dark, sit down and spend a nice afternoon talking story and getting to know ow one another. After that, Mara still came around, but there was never any fighting or anything; he and Buddha just politely acknowledged each other, worked out anything that needed working out, and went on their different ways until they ran into one another again.

This parable taught me a lot about how things that feel "bad" are great teachers, and how it's ok to be uncomfortable and have difficult stuff going on. In fact, adding the extra layer of fighting your duality just adds an extra layer of discomfort. Life is a cycle of cycles: you have to accept all of it to really get any of it. And that's ok.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by River.

More
6 years 6 months ago #1036 by Wescli Wardest
if I could only pass on one thing to another person it would be a paraphrase of what Emerson wrote...
"The deep man believes that the evil eye will either. That the hearts blessing can heal. And that love will overcome all odds.

More
6 years 6 months ago #1037 by River
No wait, I thought of one that's affected me more fundamentally. So fundamentally that I forgot it was a thing, heh.

So, most people believe we humans operate in a Stimulus-Response system. Something happens, and we respond. You hit me and I get angry.

But really, we operate in a Stimulus-Belief-Response system. Something happens, we have a belief about it, and that informs our response. For example: the other day it rained in my city. I was sad, because I'd planned a walk in the park with my dog that was now not possible. My brother was happy; he was going to have to water his garden but now nature had done it for him. My brother and I had the exact same neutral stimulus (the rain) but had two different beliefs about what it meant for is and therefore two totally different responses.

The fun part is, it's possible to dig up the beliefs you have, examine them, and change then if you like. And that, in turn, changes your responses.

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds