Wescli's Historians Guild Journal

More
5 years 4 months ago #2541 by Wescli Wardest
Apprentice Historian Core Lessons in Research

Lesson 1: Thinking Like a Historian

There were a couple of key points the author stressed in the video. Ways to approach history as a historian, story teller, scientist and lawyer. One of the most important points I believe she made was cause and effect. As we see in the seven principles of natural law, this plays a unique role on how events are shaped. Cause and effect are, as she said, the backbone of history.

It is also vitally important to research. And more importantly, don’t settle on evidence that supports your original idea. Those are my words. Because, as was pointed out, new evidence comes up all the time. This line of thought also puts me at odds with the lawyer way of thinking suggested as important for being a historian. I understand that making the argument to support your ideas is important to have it recognized. But in the pursuit of truth and the fact that evidence does continue to come up, can we ever really know what we should be asserting as actual? I would think that it would be better to come up with a theory, look for evidence and adjust our theory as we learn more. The pursuit of evidence that specifically supports a theory is one reason the scientific community has lost credibility over the years in my opinion.

I would guess that history can be compared to religion. There are things we know, things we think and things that we suppose based on what we believe is accurate.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jzen, Serenity

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds