Serenity- Heraldry and Heritage

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #1658 by Serenity
This message contains confidential information
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by jzen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, jzen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #1855 by Serenity
I am still trying to make an inventorisation off all sources , finding information about my family is very hard , i have found the Faber family weapon but the Thomassens dont seem to have their own as far as i can tell , i have found a weapon on the american side of the family so i will concentrate my research there :)

More
5 years 9 months ago #1860 by jzen
Cool, I'm interested in seeing where this leads :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serenity

More
5 years 9 months ago #1924 by Serenity
Attachments:

More
5 years 8 months ago #2041 by Serenity
Attachments:

More
5 years 8 months ago #2042 by Serenity
Assignment 3: Cultural Heritage

In your journal, share your current cultural heritage. What are some of the similarities between it and what you learned researching your family history. What are some differences? Will you be adding anything to your current practice of your cultural heritage?

Political culture
Both trade unions and employers organisations are consulted beforehand in policymaking in the financial, economic and social areas. They meet regularly with government in the Social-Economic Council. This body advises government and its advice cannot be put aside easily.
The Netherlands has a long tradition of social tolerance. In the 18th century, while the Dutch Reformed Church was the state religion, Catholicism, other forms of Protestantism, such as Baptists and Lutherans, and Judaism were tolerated but discriminated against.
In the late 19th century this Dutch tradition of religious tolerance transformed into a system of pillarisation, in which religious groups coexisted separately and only interacted at the level of government. This tradition of tolerance influences Dutch criminal justice policies on recreational drugs, prostitution, LGBT rights, euthanasia, and abortion, which are among the most liberal in the world.

Many economic historians regard the Netherlands as the first thoroughly capitalist country in the world. In early modern Europe it had the wealthiest trading city (Amsterdam) and the first full-time stock exchange. The inventiveness of the traders led to insurance and retirement funds as well as phenomena such as the boom-bust cycle, the world's first asset-inflation bubble, the tulip mania of 1636–1637, and the world's first bear raider, Isaac le Maire, who forced prices down by dumping stock and then buying it back at a discount. In 1672 – known in Dutch history as the Rampjaar (Disaster Year) – the Dutch Republic was at war with France, England and three German Bishoprics simultaneously. At sea it could successfully prevent the English and French navy entering the western shores. On land, however, it was almost taken over internally by the advancing French and German armies coming from the east. It managed to turn the tide by inundating parts of Holland, but could never recover to its former glory again and went into a state of general decline in the 18th century, with economic competition from England and long-standing rivalries between the two main factions in Dutch society, the republican Staatsgezinden and the supporters of the stadtholder the Prinsgezinden, as main political factions.

Art, philosophy and literature
The Netherlands has had many well-known painters. The 17th century, in which the Dutch Republic was prosperous, was the age of the "Dutch Masters", such as Rembrandt van Rijn, Johannes Vermeer, Jan Steen, Jacob van Ruisdael and many others. Famous Dutch painters of the 19th and 20th century were Vincent van Gogh and Piet Mondriaan. M. C. Escher is a well-known graphics artist. Willem de Kooning was born and trained in Rotterdam, although he is considered to have reached acclaim as an American artist.
The Netherlands is the country of philosophers Erasmus of Rotterdam and Spinoza. All of Descartes' major work was done in the Netherlands since he studied at Leiden University — as did throughout the centuries geologist James Hutton, British Prime Minister John Stuart, U.S. President John Quincy Adams, Physics Nobel Prize laureate Hendrik Lorentz and Islam critic Ayaan Hirsi Ali. The Dutch scientist Christiaan Huygens (1629–1695) discovered Saturn's moon Titan, argued that light travels as waves, invented the pendulum clock and was the first physicist to use mathematical formulae. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek was the first to observe and describe single-celled organisms with a microscope.
In the Dutch Golden Age, literature flourished as well, with Joost van den Vondel and P. C. Hooft as the two most famous writers. In the 19th century, Multatuli wrote about the poor treatment of the natives in the Dutch colony, the current Indonesia. Important 20th century authors include Godfried Bomans, Harry Mulisch, Jan Wolkers, Simon Vestdijk, Hella S. Haasse, Cees Nooteboom, Gerard Reve and Willem Frederik Hermans. Anne Frank's Diary of a Young Girl was published after she died in the Holocaust and translated from Dutch to all major languages.
The traditional Dutch architecture is especially valued in Amsterdam, Delft and Leiden, with 17 and 18th century buildings along the canals. Smaller village architecture with wooden houses is found in Zaandam and Marken. Replicas of Dutch buildings can be found in Huis Ten Bosch, Nagasaki, Japan. A similar Holland Village is being built in Shenyang, China. Windmills, tulips, wooden shoes, cheese, Delftware pottery, and cannabis are among the items associated with the Netherlands by tourists.
The Netherlands has a long history of social tolerance and today is regarded as a liberal country, considering its drug policy and its legalisation of euthanasia. On 1 April 2001, the Netherlands became the first nation to legalise same-sex marriage

The Dutch have a code of etiquette
which governs social behaviour and is considered important. Because of the international position of the Netherlands, many books have been written on the subject. Some customs may not be true in all regions and they are never absolute. In addition to those specific to the Dutch, many general points of European etiquette apply to the Dutch as well
Dutch society is egalitarian and modern. The people tend to view themselves as modest, independent and self-reliant. They value ability over dependency. The Dutch have an aversion to the non-essential. Ostentatious behaviour is to be avoided. Accumulating money is fine as long as people put it back into the system for the good of society. A high lifestyle is considered wasteful; volunteership is encouraged. The Dutch are proud of their cultural heritage, rich history in art and involvement in international affairs.

Dutch manners are open and direct with a no-nonsense attitude; informality combined with adherence to basic behaviour. According to a humorous source on Dutch culture, "Their directness gives many the impression that they are rude and crude — attributes they prefer to call openness." A well known more serious source on Dutch etiquette is "Dealing with the Dutch" from Jacob Vossestein: "Dutch egalitarianism is the idea that people are equal, especially from a moral point of view, and accordingly, causes the somewhat ambiguous stance the Dutch have towards hierarchy and status. As always, manners differ between groups. Asking about basic rules will not be considered impolite. "What may strike you as being blatantly blunt topics and comments are no more embarrassing or unusual to the Dutch than discussing the weather. Researchers tend to agree that Dutch honesty has to be understood to acknowledge how the people of the Netherlands accept other people's differences. Since society asks everyone to be gelukkig ("happy") above any other thing, a collective way of thinking has emerged a long time ago.

If i had to highlight one of the more well known Dutch trades it's the one of openness and what you english speaking folks refer to as rude, this has caused some misunderstandings on the internet between them and us , and it's the them and us that gives the Dutch a unique standpoint on other cultures , although we seem very open , we beat the Japanese with keeping ourselves to ourselves in the way that we adapt everywhere but are unable to loose our so called rudeness. When i hold that to the Jedi standard we are very capable of being of service and not losing our own identity or way of thinking what we do have to learn however it does not kill us to be nice to people , we are very very kind , but not very nice

Religion
The Netherlands is one of the most secular countries of Europe, and religion is in the Netherlands generally considered as a personal matter which is not supposed to be propagated in public, although it often remains a discussion subject. For 17% of the population religion is important and 14% goes to church weekly

To answer the question what i have learned from our culture , i would say how to be open and honest and how to fit in in an ever changing world , since my ancestors moved from Denmark and Germany to the Netherlands we have not had much trouble to fit in , or as we like to say it , blend in. My family lived their lives , many lives of service in the background , it's something i would like to continue , being on the forefront is confusing to me , and puts a strain that i don't need and will distract me from my purpose and direction which is to be the best i can be so i can help the best i can. I see Jedi in the news and on tv etc etc , but that is not what i seek.

What i add to my family culture and which i want to educate people around me in are the Jedi values , i bring a new Faith , i bring in the Force , into my family , relationships , work and all i do , like so many family members before me , i move on , from dogma to real life Jedi life. To be a valuable member of society and my community , like my forefathers did , i adapt to the new reality ...

More
5 years 8 months ago #2043 by Serenity
Attachments:

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #2075 by Serenity
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Serenity.

More
5 years 8 months ago #2076 by Serenity

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #2327 by Serenity
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Serenity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Acanthos, jzen

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds