Wescli - Heraldry and Heritage

More
5 years 10 months ago #1655 by Wescli Wardest
Heritage and Genealogy Lessons for the Herald Apprentice

Lesson 1: Place to Begin

Even though it does not state that there is something to write in a journal for this lesson I figure that I might as well; because, this will be a good place to keep this information for future reference.

- What are the primary cultural influences on my ancestry?
Irish, English, German and Native American are the primary cultural influences on my ancestry. My Great Grandfather on my mother’s side was Cherokee. The Cherokee is part of the Sioux Nation which I became a part of when I was a youth and associate much more with them than the other Native American tribes.

- Looking beyond cultural influences, what is the historical lineage of my name or bloodline?
My family on my Mother’s side has a long verbal heritage that has been passed down over time. And I have passed on a great deal of it to my daughter as well. It starts in Ireland and the bloodline intermingles with Scots, English and the American Indians. On my father’s side it is less simple to find out. I have not spoken with my Dad in over 19 years. I don’t even know if he is alive! I know my Grandparents on that side but records online are spotty at best. So it will take a bit of research in county offices and libraries to find out more. I know that Paul and Eula West moved to Ft Worth before my father was born but after his older brother was born. I know where they lived till they passed away. I know my grandmother was an English teacher in her younger years and my grandfather was a mechanic. They owned land all over the country and had a substantial inheritance left to my father. Other than that… it’s pretty much a mystery.

-What is my genetic heritage?
I do know that my genetic heritage is mutt. LOL I have Irish, English, German and Native American and there is possibility of many more groups being intermingled. My family does not subscribe to keeping in your group. We intermingle with anything and everything. I guess one could say that we are the epitome of the American melting pot!

- After all is said and done, ask yourself "What do I want to identify with?"
I have always identified with my Irish and Native American heritage. Although my family name goes back a good ways, I have always identified with my Texas heritage. "Texas" comes from the Caddo people and is a Spanish corruption of the word Taysha, which means "friend." The Caddo are one of the native American Indian Texas tribes. Members of my family fought in General Sam Houston’s Army. And we have been in Texas since before it was a state. I’ve been to family graves throughout East Texas and been able to trace a direct line back well over a hundred years.

As my Family also tends to be matriarchal in nature I tend to relate more with my Mother’s Irish heritage than my Fathers. So I will be focusing more on these aspects of my heritage.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jzen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #1656 by Wescli Wardest
Assignment 1: Father's Line
Let me start off by saying that it wasn’t hard to find my uncle on my father’s side, Barton Farris West. He was born May 14th, 1953 in Ft Worth Texas. He was last in the CA prison system Nov 27, 2017. He is a career criminal that has gone as far as bank robbery. Maybe writing to him could bring some clues as to my Father’s heritage and lineage… if I could trust a word he said.

My dad is the second born child (and last) of Paul and Eula West. He was a mechanic, she was an English teacher and they were both devout Christians. One can only imagine the heartbreak Barton must have caused. They moved to Irving from Ft Worth in the early 50’s but it’s hard to know exactly when for sure. And that is as far back on his side as I know for sure.

I will update this assignment as I find out more but the search could take a ridiculously long time given the information I have and how long ago those grandparents passed away.

Interesting side note, this is the first time I have ever seen and picture of my uncle Barton. There were no pictures of him in my grandparents house and I had never looked him up before as he was a criminal and practically outcast by the family. But it amazing to see the family resemblance he has with the members on my fathers side.

Research: I found my uncle's basic information because I have his Scout Handbook. He gave it to my dad (his younger brother) when he was little and joined the Scouts and my dad gave it to me when I joined the Scouts. Barton wrote his name and address inside the cover of the book. I will have to use information like this when researching other parts of the family history. I am fortunate that my mother's side has a bible with births and deaths of family members written in it. That will be a big help I think.
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Wescli Wardest. Reason: Added Research note
The following user(s) said Thank You: jzen, Serenity

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #1701 by Wescli Wardest
Assignment 1: continuation...

Tracing back my Father’s line was not the easiest thing to do. There are several reasons for this. First, my Mother and Father divorced when I was young; and, she did not talk about his lineage. My grandparents never told me anything, probably because I was too young when I saw them. And I had no one to ask about it.

But, I did find an invaluable resource of information, an old Bible. My Great Grandmother on my mother’s side, we’ll talk about her in the mother’s lineage, was really good about asking questions and keeping records and getting that information from the people that knew when they were alive.

I tried to trace that lineage beyond what my great grandma knew using census reports and ran into another road block. A fire destroyed the government census records for the 1890’s. Read about that below…

A FIRE DESTROYED THE 1890 CENSUS

But, family lore claims we have been in Texas since before it was a republic. So I have to keep looking! Using even older census records and looking at the funeral logs from churches, funeral homes and cemeteries I was able to piece a little more of it together.
This is when I discovered that Texas was a mess during its creation and before. Only census records exist where there were cities or established counties. So I also dug up mission records. Anything I could think of that I knew existed back then. Speaking of the missions, it seems that every mission was ran, owned, and populated by only Hispanics and Native Americans. We know this isn’t true. So digging further I discovered that the missions only kept records of those that passed through and those that were the “hired” help.

My father’s side was pretty lucky during the Spanish Flu epidemic that hit America in the early nineteen hundreds.

Spanish Flu outbreak

I couldn’t find any record of a young West that was affected by this horrible epidemic that struck the world’s population.

So using the Bible I found, census records and church and cemetery records I can piece it back quite a ways. Some of the names in the Bible were very hard to read and I’m not entirely sure they’re spelt correctly. Further research will help in clarifying. Names in blue are brothers and names in red are sisters.

Going back to the family name West is a noble family in the United Kingdom and a prominent family in the history of the U.S. state of Virginia. The following are a few examples of the family crest with the common crest being in the center.

I'm still not sure as to why the crest is designed the way it is; the reason for the fess or the charges.

In Europe they were Barron’s, Duke’s and Earl’s. Many of the men were soldiers holding high ranks (most likely because of their nobility) and fought alongside prominent people such as King Richard the second. During the mid-1600’s they came over to the US and settled Virginia. Probably why it feels so much like home every time I drive through. There they served as justice and sheriff to the crown and other important roles including lieutenant governor of the state and one who was governor. One of the brothers, newly married, set out to settle the new frontier… Tejas as the natives called it (Or Taysha if you are Caddo), Texas as known to the Americans. There they family would settle frontier territory that wasn’t even a county yet. They would have children that would participate in the war for Texas Independence, Us Civil War and every way the US has fought since.

Paul Jackson West and Eula Bell West survived through the Great Depression and it had an adverse effect on them. They became hoarders. She was an English teacher in the Irving School System until she retired and he was a mechanic. My father’s older brother, and only other sibling, had turned to a life of crime at an early age. This caused him to be ostracized by the family. I had never heard of him or even seen a picture hanging on the wall in my grandparents’ house. It wasn’t till I received my Scout hand book that I saw his name written on the pages and asked who that was. That book belonged to my uncle when he was a Boy Scout. He then in turn gave to his little brother, my father, when he became a Boy Scout. And my father gave it to me when I became a Boy Scout.

We don’t waist things… a lesson learned from those that suffered hardship and want. And most likely what caused them to be hoarders.

My Father was a soldier, continuing the family tradition, and I rarely saw him growing up. When I was a teen my parents divorced and my stepdad came into my life. At that point, the only ones alive that knew anything about my father’s lineage were him and my criminal uncle. I’ve never met my uncle and I haven’t seen my dad since my daughter was born (she’s an adult now).

Because of this, most of heritage influence comes from my mother’s side.
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Wescli Wardest.

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #2069 by Wescli Wardest
Assignment 2: Mother's Line

I have had help in completing my Mother's side from, my Mother. She started looking years ago for our lineage and I picked up where she left off.

Mother's research

Continued Research

Or (gold) represents generosity. Vert (green) signifies hope, joy and loyalty. The Lion is the emblem of deathless courage. The shells symbolize protection of providence.

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Wescli Wardest.

More
5 years 9 months ago #2070 by Wescli Wardest
Assignment 3: Cultural Heritage

A lot of people don’t know much about Texas or Texans. We have a unique culture that is usually pretty apparent in the native born Texan. Let’s backtrack a ways…

The American colonist weren’t real thrilled by what they perceived as the oppression of the English crown so they broke away to create the US. Several people of the new US weren’t terribly thrilled about the size and influence the new US government was beginning to show so they moved out west to create their own little piece of heaven. There was great opportunity in a dried out, barren piece of land known as Tejas. The only trick was they had to beat the Mexican dictator to get it. Once Texas was established, one of the rules/laws we put in place was that our legislation could only meet once every two years to create new laws. And it is still that way today. Yes, the governor can call a special session but they are only allowed to discuss what the session was called for. So things move slowly here. And we like it that way.

Texans are proud, hardworking and self-sufficient people that really want to be left alone. We don’t cry for government aide or support or protection. We’ll deal with it ourselves. And there are few things that will aggravate a Texan more than someone coming here and trying to make Texas like where they came from. Sure, celebrate your culture; but, respect that you are here and what is already here is what drew you here. Otherwise you would have stayed where you were! LOL

My family has been in Texas since it was Tejas. We’ve seen a few of the six flags fly over this land. There are cities and counties named after members in my family history. We know families that are just as old and established. And we teach our children the history of our family and this land generation to generation. I have the rocking chair that my Grandfather was rocked to sleep in as a child. And my Mother was, and I was, and my daughter was and I will rock her children to sleep in.

Looking back through the family line, I can see a lot of similarities. And the only real difference is the land we call home.

More
5 years 9 months ago #2071 by Wescli Wardest
Assignment 4: Create a Family Tree

Attachments:

More
5 years 9 months ago #2072 by Wescli Wardest
Assignment 5: Heraldry Crossover

I was so excited when this first started that I jumped the gun a little and created my crest before finishing all the genealogy research. This is the heraldry crest i complete in the Heralds guild thread and the reasons... which haven't changed.

Heraldic Achievement Lessons for the Herald Journeyman
Link to original post

Lesson - 1

Lesson - 2

Lesson - 3

Lesson - 4

Lesson - 5

Lesson - 6

Lesson - 7

Additional information on items in my heraldic crest

More
5 years 6 months ago #2372 by Wescli Wardest
I have a record of my family from the bible my Great Grandma kept. As I find more actual dates and records that confirm what I already know I will continue to add it here. Also, fining members names I never knew. I knew they existed, but had no idea who they were.
From the 1940 U.S. Census

Age 8, born abt 1932
Birthplace Texas
Gender Male
Race White

Home in 1940
117 Wilson Street
Mexia,
Limestone, Texas

Household
Members Age

Wife Ludie Reynolds 34
Head Russ Reynolds 32
Son Clytie Reynolds 8
Son J T Reynolds 7
Daughter Paula Reynolds 3

My Grandpa Dusty Was born Clytie Reynolds and changed his name to Dusty. Record recovered of his family from a U.S. Census, 1940

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #2375 by Wescli Wardest
I love pictures! :woohoo:

This one recently surfaced from a long time friend of the family. She claims it is Clytie, my Grandpa "dusty." But... I remember being told that he lost his eye playing cowboys and Indians with his brother when he was little. Given that this is a WWII US Army uniform, it could be him. But I suspect that it is actually his Father Russel, "Russ."

Clytie would have been between 14 and 19ish during WWII And Russ would have been between 32 and 37ish. Dusty and Russ looked a bit alike. But I think this is actually my Great grandpa Russ. Especially since Dusty's predominate cleft chin is not seen in this picture.

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Wescli Wardest.

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds