Herald's Gallery

• Senan
  • Knight
  • Knight
  • Just trying to make a difference in the world
More
5 years 9 months ago #1556 by Senan
Replied by Senan on topic Herald's Gallery
Love it, Wes! You've inspired a few adjustments I might make to my own. Always a work in progress! :)

First Knight (Nov 26th, 2018)

Battlefield Commission - Knight
Apprentice to Wescli Wardest
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, jzen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jzen
  • jzen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Knight Lieutenant
  • Knight Lieutenant
  • Audentes Fortuna Iuvat
More
5 years 9 months ago #1562 by jzen
Replied by jzen on topic Herald's Gallery
This is what I've finished so far :) I'll keep plugging away at it and try to get a full one up soon :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Senan

• jzen
  • Knight Lieutenant
  • Knight Lieutenant
  • Audentes Fortuna Iuvat
More
5 years 9 months ago #1571 by jzen
Alright, I have my working Coat of Arms :) I'll explain what I did and why I chose what I did.

Lesson 1: History

Okay, as I did research into my family background, I found a lot of really cool connections. Going back through my maternal grandmother's side, I found a line that goes all the way back to Charlemagne. On my father's side, I found a line that goes back through Scotland and Ireland to the O'Naill Clan. I've included portions of both of those lines in my finished Coat of Arms.

Lesson 2: Styles of Escutcheon

I went with the Heater Shield for my Escutcheon. I like the traditional shape and how well it lends itself to decorative aspects.

Lesson 3: Colors in Heraldry

My primary colors are Red and Gold.

Red symbolizes the way of the warrior, courage, and bravery, all aspects of the ethos I try to adhere to.
Gold symbolizes wisdom, generosity, glory, constancy, and faith.

All of these virtues are important to me and I get a little closer everyday to incorporating them more fully.

Additionally I have included a couple minor colors:

Blue which signifies loyalty, chastity, truth, strength and faith.
White which signifies truth, sincerity, peace, innocence and purity.
Black: wisdom, constancy and prudence.

All of these make a complete person. We knights, guided by virtue, strive to live these out in our daily lives with our commitment to the order, our families, and our communities. I really enjoyed taking the time to flush these out.

Lessons 4, 5, 6: Divisions, Ordinaries, and Diminutives of the Field

As you can see, my Escutcheon is divided along in a cross that serves as all three categories. Because I included the two additional coats of arms from my ancestors, the cross serves as a Diminutive dividing the field up into four separate fields. In this way, I didn't violate the rules of Tincture. Two fields bear my heritage coat of arms, and in the additional fields, I used a red and gold chequy pattern that is meant to represent the combination of the primary colors of my heritage coats of arms.

Lesson 7: Charges

I didn't include additional charges other than what was included in my heritage coats of arms.

Additional Items:

Wes did a great job explaining the purpose of these additional elements, and when add the lesson covering these, I'll make sure to include his research.

As for me, I added five additional elements, some practical, and some decorative.

Supports: I used the Lion Rampant to support my Escutcheon. It is symbolic of being not only ready to take on the challenges of knighthood, but also actively engaged in such work. The lions are focused on the tasks of the order and engaged as such.

Helmet: The helmet represents my knighthood, and is a visible sign of my role in the Order.

Torse and Mantle: The torse and mantle are in the colors of my primary virtues. The torse crowns my helmet and my knighthood in my primary virtues, and the mantle embraces my whole coat of arms, showing the creative and far reaching aspects of said virtues.

Order: I have included the symbol of the order at the bottom of my coat of arms.

Motto: I took a long time to think about this. I bounced around many different ideas and I finally decided to go with "Audentes Fortuna Iuvat" or "Fortune Favors the Brave." I felt that this represented me the best out of everything I came up with and bridges my past with my future. It was also my squadron motto when I was stationed in South Korea. I was glad to come to it :)

So, I'm in agreement with everyone else that this was a lot of fun to work on. I was pleasantly surprised to make the connections I was able to make, and incorporate them into what a really cool coat of arms.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

• jzen
  • Knight Lieutenant
  • Knight Lieutenant
  • Audentes Fortuna Iuvat
More
5 years 9 months ago #1591 by jzen

Wescli Wardest wrote:

I hope I didn’t ramble too much. And more over, I hope that maybe something I have said will help in urging you to look more into heraldry as you go along the lessons. There is a lot of neat stuff, history and symbolism used. I have a great time designing mine and researching all that went into it.

I went ahead and used this to create lessons to encourage people to dig deeper :) Thanks for sharing this!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Senan

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds