• jzen
  • jzen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Knight Lieutenant
  • Knight Lieutenant
  • Audentes Fortuna Iuvat
More
5 years 11 months ago #1417 by jzen
Herald's Gallery was created by jzen
Share your adventures into heraldry here! Post pictures of your coats of arms. In progress or completed... it doesn't matter. Feel free to share what your doing! :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Senan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #1462 by Acanthos
Replied by Acanthos on topic Herald's Gallery
What I'm currently considering using, in some arrangement yet to be decided...

Grandfathers wartime military symbols;

and

Father's service symbol, wartime;

and peacetime symbol;

So there is some interesting things there, arrows, lightning, sword, staff... and colours. I'm sure I'll be able to come up with something!!!!!

極代 ~ per ardua ad astra
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, jzen

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #1464 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic Herald's Gallery
I have been looking at my families crests, for my mom's and dad's side, and referencing an online site that explains some of the symbols... Heraldry Glossary

Mother's

Father's

This is mostly for research. I have always identified more with my Mother's Irish warrior, tribal ancestry more than my Father's German ancestry. That said, I have also always had a strong connection with my Native American ancestry. So... I may use articles form of those and maybe even give it a bit of a "tribal" touch.

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Wescli Wardest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jzen

• Senan
  • Knight
  • Knight
  • Just trying to make a difference in the world
More
5 years 11 months ago #1472 by Senan
Replied by Senan on topic Herald's Gallery
My families are mainly Irish and Scottish so there is already a precedent set for heraldry on both sides, but I think I am going to go my own direction while incorporating some pieces of the past.

First Knight (Nov 26th, 2018)

Battlefield Commission - Knight
Apprentice to Wescli Wardest
The following user(s) said Thank You: jzen

• jzen
  • Knight Lieutenant
  • Knight Lieutenant
  • Audentes Fortuna Iuvat
More
5 years 11 months ago #1473 by jzen
Replied by jzen on topic Herald's Gallery

Senan wrote: My families are mainly Irish and Scottish so there is already a precedent set for heraldry on both sides, but I think I am going to go my own direction while incorporating some pieces of the past.

That's what I'm going to do. I have the Scots Irish on my dad's side and the French/German on my mom's that I'm going to incorporate. When I do my divisions, I'll have a portion of their arms for 2 quadrants :) Also, I have more lessons coming, lol...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Senan

• Senan
  • Knight
  • Knight
  • Just trying to make a difference in the world
More
5 years 10 months ago #1536 by Senan
Replied by Senan on topic Herald's Gallery
Heraldry

1) Lesson One - History

After reading the history of Heraldry and having a better understanding of the various pieces included in a crest, I have decided to begin creating my own crest for use here at the Monastic Order of Knights. I am beginning by creating the escutcheon (shield) based on the existing designs of my two family coat of arms representing my surname “Hay” and my mother’s maiden name “Flynn”.

The rest of the crest contains the knight’s helmet, mantling, the MOoK emblem where the order goes, and the motto banner containing a personal motto of mine, “per fraternitate consurgamus” meaning “in brotherhood, we rise”.

2) Lesson Two - Shape

For my shield, I utilized the escutcheon in the traditional “heater” shape.

3) Lesson Three - Colors

Because my shield is divided into two sections, the top is a field of argent as was the field on the Hay Crest. Argent signifies truth, sincerity, peace, innocence and purity. The lower field is azure as it was on the Flynn Crest. Azure signifies loyalty, chastity, truth, strength and faith.

4) Lesson Four - Divisions

The field is divided into the two parts using a party per fess to divide the field horizontally. The division, however, is not at the exact midpoint, but rather using a division line to create a horizontal band across the upper portion of the shield known as a Chief Ordinary.

5) Lesson Five – Ordinaries and Subordinaries

As mentioned above, I am employing the Chief Ordinary to create a field along the top third of the escutcheon that displays the Hay coat of arms. The lower field is the Flynn coat of arms. The two fields are separated by a simple line division.

The Chief Ordinary contains three shield subordinaries taken from the Hay crest. These red shields represent the father and two sons of the Hay family who rallied the retreating Scottish army and led them to defeat the advancing Danes in 980 A.D. The story goes that the defeated Scottish army was retreating through a narrow pass on the Hay land when the farmer and his two sons came upon them. The Hays let them through and then held the Danes at the pass long enough for the Scottish to regroup and then launch a counterattack led by the Hay elder and his sons. The Danes were defeated and the Hays were rewarded with more land and the coat of arms.

The lower field also contains subordinaries in the form of three gold circles. These circles are taken from the Flynn crest and represent gold coins. These are symbols conveying that the namesake carrying the shield is worthy of trust and can be trusted to guard great treasures.

6) Lesson Six - Diminutives

I will not be employing any diminutives on my crest.

7) Lesson Seven – Charges

My crest contains a charge taken from the Flynn crest in the form of a wolf in the passant pose. This wolf represents the rewards of perseverance. The pose is striding forward to represent the constant march toward progress.

First Knight (Nov 26th, 2018)

Battlefield Commission - Knight
Apprentice to Wescli Wardest
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, jzen

• jzen
  • Knight Lieutenant
  • Knight Lieutenant
  • Audentes Fortuna Iuvat
More
5 years 10 months ago #1537 by jzen
That looks fantastic!

More
5 years 10 months ago #1538 by Wescli Wardest
Wow! That looks great! :woohoo:

More
5 years 10 months ago #1552 by Wescli Wardest

Lesson - 1

Lesson - 2

Lesson - 3

Lesson - 4

Lesson - 5

Lesson - 6

Lesson - 7

Additional information on items in my heraldic crest

I hope I didn’t ramble too much. And more over, I hope that maybe something I have said will help in urging you to look more into heraldry as you go along the lessons. There is a lot of neat stuff, history and symbolism used. I have a great time designing mine and researching all that went into it.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Senan, jzen

• jzen
  • Knight Lieutenant
  • Knight Lieutenant
  • Audentes Fortuna Iuvat
More
5 years 10 months ago #1554 by jzen
This looks great too! I've got quite a bit to do to catch up, lol!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds