An Early Seasons Greetings

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #3422 by Wescli Wardest
Hello everyone, 
Time to say more things that will be unpopular.  :P 

I visit a lot of different sites.  Check out a lot of different social media.  And I noticed something, a trend so to say.  I often read things like, I just read this amazing article about someone doing (fill in the blank).  

I think it is good to spread good stories.  Maybe they will inspire others?  Maybe people feel good about “things” when they read them?  Sharing stories of people’s good work is, well… good. 

But, and there’s always a “but” isn’t there.  :P  What I do not read is how people on these sites and media outlets are actually doing something themselves. Sure, some do. Not saying that no one is.  But there are trillions-of-gajillions of people that visit the different web sites and social medial platforms.  And the greater majority of these people claim to care and want to do good for others.  So where are all their stories? 

Absence of a thing does not prove its non-existence.  But seriously, five thousand people visit a web site a day and post regularly.  And about once every two or three weeks you see “a” story about someone helping someone else.  If this was the Forbes web site I could expect such a thing.  But even on the Forbes website there are more stories about people helping others.  (It seems that way) 

Are we ashamed to tell others about our good deeds?  Or worst, are we just keyboard warriors that only say we want to help others… but when push comes to shove we don’t actually do anything!  What I hope is that we are all so busy with life and helping others that we just don’t think to post about it.  

The Holiday season is upon us. Every year the Monastic Order of Knights raises money to help the fight against cancer. And I hope everyone reading this will help out with whatever they can in that fight.  But on a different note I hope each of you will do something this holiday season to help out someone less fortunate than yourself. Get a toy for an underprivileged child. A coat for someone that cannot afford to protect themselves from the cold. Spend time at a soup kitchen and feed those with nothing to eat. Donate a couple of dollars to those annoying people standing in the cold ringing their bells at you.  Anything!  Every piece of assistance, no matter how small you think it is, can make a huge difference in another person’s life. 

And once you have helped out another, write about it!  Let others know that you are a part of the effort to make the world a better place.  And when enough of us get on board we really can make big, lasting change. 

Thank you
And God bless you.
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Wescli Wardest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serenity

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #3423 by Serenity
Replied by Serenity on topic An Early Seasons Greetings
I gave a frying pan i won at Bingo to a poor single mum. Does that count? 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #3424 by Wescli Wardest
I generally don’t like to post about stuff I have done because, and this may sound silly, but I feel like I am somehow “blowing my own horn.” Being a braggart. We, my family, has always said that charitable acts should be their own reward and you shouldn’t need any praise or recognition for do them. And so I always feel “weird” writing… look what I did. 

And sometimes I just get busy and forget to write about it. 

There is something I have recently done that I think may merit mentioning. I often donate to different charities.  Maybe even as much as every couple of weeks I am placing a few dollars into this fund or that.  And honestly I just think nothing about it. I have it to spare.  So, in my mind, there was no real sacrifice so it wasn’t worth really mentioning.  I know that is not why we help people.  I guess I have some mental issues I still need to work through as well.  What do you know, none of us are perfect. 

I had an old truck.  A 95 Dodge Ram. Not the prettiest thing but in great working order.  I used it like a Ranch truck back in Texas.  And since I got my smaller Ford Ranger 4x4 I haven’t driven the Dodge at all.  It’s just been setting. I turn the engine over and let it idol from time to time so that the battery stays charged and the gas doesn’t go bad and gum up the engine.  But that’s pretty much it. 

I decided I was going to sell it.  But I really wanted it to go to someone that needed a vehicle.  A couple of people showed interest but never committed.  And I was okay with that for some reason.  Then, one day at work, I discovered that one of my coworkers was not only a single parent but did not have a vehicle.  They worked the night shift and road a four wheeler, a small off road toy basically, to and from work every day.  He had to rely on either his mother, sister or cousin for rides outside of that.  A good young man just trying to make ends meet and take care of his kids.  Great attitude, hard worker.  If anyone deserved a break I would guess it could be him. 

So I got to talking with him one day and told him I had decided to give him the truck.  He didn’t know what to say. And he kept asking how much I wanted for it.  Nothing.  I know he didn’t have money to spare or he would already have a vehicle. I told him, “one day, when you’re older and better established, there will be someone that needs a helping hand. Help them.  And ask nothing in return.” He started tearing up and said ok.  I didn’t ask permission to tell this story so I am leaving out some details and names. 

I got what I wanted for the truck.  It went to some one that really needed a vehicle. It didn’t just get sold but went to a new home.  And that makes me happy.
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Wescli Wardest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serenity

More
2 years 5 months ago #3425 by Serenity
Replied by Serenity on topic An Early Seasons Greetings
Making someone happy is our core bussiness as Monastic Knights 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds