Spring Campaign 2023: Echo base charity con

More
5 years 2 months ago #2666 by Serenity
Spring Campaign 2019 | Helping the Elderly

The Spring Order campaign is all about the older generation , every country has Nursing homes and they rely on volunteers a lot, For this campaign you can find one near you and ask if you can participate in events for the elderly or organise an event yourself like for instance a high tea or game afternoon.
Nursing homes rely on volunteers to interact with their residents. They need volunteers to provide company for residents and assist in hosting dances, card games and bingo nights. Activities run by volunteers are an integral part of bringing the feeling of home to the nursing home.

If you enjoy good conversations, playing cards, dancing, decorating, tidying up or being a shoulder to lean on, contact a home for the elderly or nursing home near you and see what you can do.

Please let us know what you are doing or going to do so we can inspire each other.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, jzen, Rosalyn J

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #2678 by Brenna
I LOVE this idea!

In December when I was visiting family in NZ I spent a significant amount of time in the care home where my grandmother is being looked after (She was very unwell)

Since we were there every day I started looking for ways to be useful when I discovered that for a number of the residents, especially the ones with some form of dementia, they had limited amounts of clothing (due to a lack of family interest or care) and often became extremely attached to certain items, sometimes refusing to wear anything else.

I started taking a sewing kit with me every morning and repairing some of the items so that they could continue to be worn with dignity.

Unsurprisingly, this also lead to me being a willing ear for the many stories the residents wanted to share. Even if they were usually the same story every day :)

Just being present is often the greatest kindness we can offer anyone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, jzen, Serenity

More
5 years 1 month ago #2715 by Serenity
Next week i have the first meeting with the voluntair coordinator of the Nursing home in my village , we are looking to plan an afternoon with demented elderly for doing their hair and nails and other fun stuff , i am really looking forward to being a part of this , i have already been asked to become a regular voluntair there but i will have to see how it can fit in with my other responsibilities :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, jzen, Brenna

More
4 years 10 months ago #2901 by Serenity

We have been raising money with various projects ( i sponsored a boy who ran 15 kilometers for this cause) for an Experiance table. Participants in daytime activities can view photos and videos and play games via the large, touchable screen. This way, memory and motor skills are trained in an accessible way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, jzen

More
4 years 9 months ago #2985 by Serenity
So far its been going well , next week i was suppose to bake pancakes for the group that i aim to volunteer with , the elderly with dementia , but it will be 38C degrees so that is too hot to bake pancakes and too hot to sit outside and eat them , with those temperatures people dont even go outside here , so the Netherlands will be out of order for the next week :lol:

We will see if i can bake pancakes at a later date !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

More
4 years 8 months ago #2989 by Wescli Wardest
I was just wondering how old one had to be to qualify for the pancakes?:huh:

I mean... I am a Grandpa now! LOL :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serenity

More
4 years 8 months ago #2990 by Serenity
Haha , no one is too old for pancakes Wes

I am very happy to say that the managment picked up on my idea and now every monday the volunteers make pancakes for lunch , unfortunately i cannot join then because i am taking care of my mother , but its great to see ideas being used and i was able to bake pancakes at least once :)

More
1 year 3 months ago #3516 by Serenity
The last charity con was in 2019 and brought 10.000 euro for Childrens cancer organisation Kika.

May 2023 Echo Base con Star Wars wil be back in a wonderful location and awesome charity ! 

www.echobasecon.nl/en/2022/10/25/welkom-...se-charity-con-2023/

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #3531 by Serenity
We are getting very nervous because the guest list is very impressive and the charity this year is Make a wish Foundation, for children with terminal illness. 

​​​​​https://www.echobasecon.nl/en/gasten/

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds